Kameron - Trenton, Michigan

This I Believe. . .

True friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance; the same goes for true love. . . . Friendship can start from some of the simplest things, whether it’s liking the same band or playing the same sport.

Everyone needs a friend no matter what because without one there is nobody to share one’s interests or likes with on the same level of care as oneself. I myself am a living example of this theory. I came to Adrian College without knowing anyone except for another student that has come from my high school, but we are not close friends. I have friends around the entire state of Michigan which makes for long distances.

I developed some of the best friends anyone could ever ask for in high school and for some reason I thought it would be nice to go to college and meet new friends. Coming to college without knowing anyone and having anyone to share intrapersonal emotions with is difficult. I would and I will continue to still call friends and email them about experiences I have been having and they share theirs too. Back at home in high school we would all experience things as friends together, so we wouldn’t really tell each other how we felt about it because we all experienced the same things.

A very memorable experience my friends and I all had was playing high school football. Every Friday Night the smell of fall was in the air. Leaves falling off the trees with the lights from the stadium lighting up the night sky. Tasting my dry mouth because of the nerves from the game. Hearing the band play, the crowd scream, and the coaches yell. Feeling the fresh cut field beneath my feet telling me its time to play hard. My closest friends and I experienced this every Friday Night for 3 months. Nothing can take away the experiences we went through and the relationships we built.

Being far away from one another we are experiencing different things. Experiencing new things allows us to talk about how we felt about them and if I am upset about something they are right there on the phone cheering me up telling me to let it go and move on to the next day. I count down the days till I can see my friends again so we can tell all the stories we want together about the good ol’ days or even about what has happened recently.

Longer distances have made me a better friend because there is no room to betray them or deny them because the little time that you have to share with them you have to make them your best and cherish them. I’m starting more relationships now but they will soon be moved to long distance relationships as summer approaches; however, I will continue to grow as a friend no matter near or far because everyone needs true friends to talk to. Near or far, friends are essential to a person because expressing your feelings helps to one another makes your grow into a mature individual.