I believe that family is the most important factor in my life.

Brittany - Yorba Linda, California
Themes: family, gratitude

I am lucky enough to have an amazing close-nit family that I wouldn’t trade for the world. I will admit that when I was younger, I would resent my family. When I had a drug problem, they were always going through my things and butting into every aspect of my life, and, at that time, I hated them for it. I now realize that if it wasn’t for them always being in my face about it, I would have possibly never stopped and ended up in jail or worse.

My family has always been extremely supportive of me no matter what I do, even if we don’t see eye to eye. I am definitely a millennium child. I love the look almost all piercing and tattoos and my attitude is: if you like it, get it! Unfortunately, my family is not like that. My dad has never been pierced or tattooed; my mom and sisters have 4 piercing, and they are all in their ears. At one time, both my sisters did have their tongues pierced, but they took them out. At this moment, I have 11 piercing, 1 tattoo and I am looking to get more of both in the future. Now, even though my family doesn’t agree with the fact that I want to get more, they will always tell me how cute my new thing is (even if they do think its ugly).

My family is a crutch I could always lean on. I have been through some very tough and scary moments in my life. Case and point: two years ago, I went to Prague, Czech Republic for a semester abroad program through my Junior College. While we were there, the Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany was going on and a group of us decided that we wanted to go. We were all drinking, having fun and making friends outside of one of the drinking houses. We soon decided we wanted to go walking around to check things out. One of the girls ran to the bathroom before we left, when I realized I should go to. I told the group to wait for me and went running to the bathroom, but when I got back, they were gone! Well I didn’t know what to do, so I went back and drank more with the people we met. Next thing I knew I was extremely drunk, balling my eyes out near the restroom and all I could think of is how bad I wanted to go home.

By some miracle, my sister happened to call me right at that moment. I don’t remember too much of the conversation except that I kept telling my family I didn’t know how to get back to the train, and all I wanted to do was come home. My whole family kept passing the phone around at home and telling me it was ok and that I just needed to calm down. Through their help and guidance, I was able to make it back to the train and get back to Prague, without any of my roommates.

My parents own their own small business and one of sisters work for them and the other just so happen to be there for lunch that day. I later found out that both my sisters had a gut feeling that something was wrong and that’s why they called. I also found out that for the hour that they were talking to me, their business basically shut down. My parents weren’t taking any calls or doing any work until they knew I was safe. I dread the thought of what might have happened to me if my sisters had not followed their gut and made that call.

I know that there have been times in my life when I almost can’t stand my family, and I know there will most likely be times like that in the future, but no matter what, they will always be number one in my heart.