Mankind Was Meant to be Happy

Dan - San Diego, California
Themes: pleasure

I believe mankind was meant to be happy. Now I will tell you exactly what this means to me and I will tell you exactly what it does not mean to me. This doesn’t mean that every person was mean to be happy, because frankly, there are some bad people in this world that in my opinion probably shouldn’t be happy. I am not saying that man is inherently good, or inherently evil. It is far to easy to say either of those and far, far too complicated to try and explain.

Man was meant to be happy. Why? Because we are alive. With every breathe we take we are alive another moment, another day, so why the hell should any of us be here if we aren’t supposed to be happy. A wise man once said, “Find what makes you happy and you’ll never have to work a day in your life.” I believe that all the proof is in the pudding. We are alive, why be sad? why be upset? These are surely not the emotions humans were meant to feel.

The purpose of life is to create a world in which we are happy. At work and at play. With our family and our friends. Why have a beach, or a sun? If man was not meant to bask in it?

My point is that there are so many wonderful and beautiful things in this world that all the negative emotions that detract from that beauty cannot be anything but secondary.

There are murders, and disease, starvation and so many other problems in the world today. I am not saying to simply overlook this. My message is not that ignorance is bliss, for clearly no problem was ever solved without knowledge. My message is simply this. Next time it’s cloudy outside and your trudging through the parking lot on your way to work, smile. Take comfort in the fact that the sun will come tomorrow. If you keep your head down you may very well miss it.

I’ll leave you with a quote, one of my favorites from Benjamin Franklin. “God made beer to show that he loves us and wants us to be happy.” So hopefully I’ll see you on the beach this weekend. I’ll be the guy with the beer in his hand, and smile on his face.