Mario - Modesto, California

I am a college student. I have been one for over four years at this point. I have spent the past 4 years attending a Junior College, which I lovingly called “fake college”. I am now in my first year at San Diego State University (this would be known as “real college”). After four years most people have received their Bachelors Degree, yet here I am, a fourth year Junior. Through all my trial and tribulation, I have resolved that I will finish college, no matter how long it takes.

I look back at some of my friends who graduated high school with me. Some are on their way to getting their Masters Degree. Many of those people dropped out of college. Some are now married with children (not to say that this is a bad thing). Some are drug addicts, sadly to say. They all began with one thing in common though. They all resolved to finish college or some other form of education, just as I did then.

As time has passed, and I have grown wiser (however little that actually may be), I have come to see how much American resolve in general has disappeared. Don’t get me wrong. There are still lots of it to be found. Proof of this is in the fact that the freshmen enrollment at San Diego State is higher then ever. Even through this fact, I believe that there is less resolve to be found then years past.

I ask myself on a regular basis, “Where did it all go?” I don’t know if I have the right answer for it. I just know that it is not there. Whatever happened to saying the course? I think there is a replacement question for this one now: “Why stay there course when there is a short cut right over there?”

And therein lies the problem. The shortcut. I must admit, I am guilty of taking the shortcut just as anyone else. I’m not perfect, nor do I claim to be. But I genuinely try to stay the course, the whole length, as often as I can. I can only hope that I can lead by example the way to stay the course.