Brandon - Alpine, California
Themes: death

I believe the legal age for a person to receive their license should be pushed back. At the age of sixteen a person is too young to make decisions on the road. The first thing a young adult wants to do behind a wheel is speed and show off to their friends. I disagree with our laws about the age of new drivers.

I am speaking from experience when I say that sixteen is too young for a young adult to receive their license. I know when I first received my license the first thing I wanted to do was drive my friends around. This is breaking the law already, when an adult receives their license it is part of California law that you can not drive any persons under the age of twenty five for the first six months. When I received my license all I wanted to do was drive all my friends around town. I received a ticket that was very expensive because after the first two weeks I had my license I thought it would be ok to drive friends around and I would not get caught. Little did I know the only time I decided to do it I was pulled over and written up by the San Diego police department.

I also experienced another tragic incident in High school when the situation came around and an immature driver got behind the wheel. I had just sat down in my first class early one morning to come to notice that a few of my closest friends were not their. At first it struck me as odd then I saw another classmate crying. My mind then started to race, I had no idea what was going on. My teacher then in formed the class of the most tragic news I had ever received. My friend of almost eight years had passed away on her way to school. She was run off the road coming down a steep hill near our school. That morning it was raining, Crest the road she was driving down was already dangerous enough when it was dry. She was new at driving, only a licensed driver for two months. The morning she decided to take crest over the freeway looked like a great idea because she would miss traffic and make it to school on time. She noticed after a short time driving down this three lane road that Jake one of our best friends was in the lane right next to her. Being the inexperienced and immature driver she was she thought it would be fun to race her. The rain after a few miles took over this crazy road and sent her flying off the road into her ditch. My friend is still scarred knowing he had to do with death of one of our closest friends.

Sixteen is too young of an age to drive and because of it I lost one of my best friends!