Mans Inhumanity Towards Man

Daniel - San Diego, California
Themes: change

Throughout my life I have seen the world change. As governmental power is passed from one group to the next, the world shifts, the towers fall. But as the world changes, the more people remain the same. The news comes on every evening not with a cheerful broadcast but rather a story of man hurting fellow man. People once again not living up their potential as more acts of mans inhumanity to one another occur.

I believe that the time is like a circle. It’s a matter of time before history repeats itself in one form or another. Currently immigration is a heated topic in my community, but what about my immigrant grandparents who experienced the same thing during the depression. The hate and ignorance continues today as it did 50, 60, 70 years ago. I am no longer surprised by what I hear but rather I seem to have become desensitized by acquiring knowledge about the inhumane acts that our history has to offer. It is not that I have no heart but it’s that I can not trick myself into believing in the good of all people. I have heard two survivors of the Holocaust speak in my life time. This knowledge followed by many other aspects of history including: slavery, the Japanese interment camps, the Rodney King beating and many others has left me scared that I am maturing as a person in a world where lingering racism and hate are still very prevalent.

Despite the circle of time as hate continues to travel the world, I am a believer in change. I will continue to have my guard up and ears prepared for the next story but why not believe in the good. I believe that with more and more people becoming educated, lets no longer use the excused of ignorance. Why don’t we take notice of the genocide in Darfur, global warming, world hunger, and child slavery? If we as a people have not figured out by now that we need to unite and be seen as one race, I don’t know when we will. This I believe, that mans inhumanity towards man will only lessen with the idea of liberation through education.