audrey - san dievo, California

I believe that you can achieve whatever you put your mind into.

As cliché as it may sound, it’s true. When you set your mind to things and just believe in yourself, anything is possible.

Going through high school was a rough time for me, especially the decision if I wanted to continue school and go to college afterwards. I was never really a believer in getting that degree. I mean what’s the point; there are many people out there that are well off without a degree. There are even people more well off with no college level education than people who do have one. And I know some people who are more intelligent than ones with a college education, so what’s going to motivate me to go?

Maybe it was the support from my family, always pushing me and challenging me. Telling me that whatever I put my mind into, I can do.

Myself, I was never as optimistic as they were. Applying for college didn’t help the process either. I was sketchy about the idea of going to college, in my head I kind of wanted to go but I dint feel like I could cut it. I was discouraged even more when I got the small envelope from San Diego State. Without even opening it, I knew that I wasn’t accepted. My mom would nag me and tell me to appeal my application. But what’s the point; they’re not going take me the second time if they didn’t take me the first, right? I’m nothing special, I don’t play sports, I’m not in the band, I wasn’t in any clubs or organizations. I was just a plain student. Wake up, go to school, get it over with, and then go home.

So I finally did it. I wrote a letter of appeal for my application, then sealed, stamped and mailed it. It wasn’t the best letter ever; I just wanted my mom off of my back.

Forgetting that I wrote that letter, weeks went by when one Thursday after noon coming home from school. I see, yet again, another small envelope from SDSU. Automatically I was discouraged, again. But for some reason I decided to just open it.

Congratulations. We are please to inform you that you have been accepted into blah, blah, blah. All that didn’t matter anymore, I was accepted.

Getting that letter was somewhat of a relief for me. It gave me a new perspective on how I look at things.

Now I am where I had never thought I’d be. I can proudly say that I am a senior at San Diego State University and graduating this spring 2008. When things get tough I just think about how much I’ve accomplished. It made me truly believe that you can achieve whatever you put your mind into.