james - san diego, California
Themes: science

I believe in evolution. Evolution is the invisible power that has shaped the planet. I don’t know how it started but I believe it will persist to mold it tell the end of all life. As we have seen through sciences like paleontology and anthropology evolution is changing everything.

I grew up in a Presbyterian church, my mother is an elder and use to drag me to all the church events. I knew all the bible stories and the one that bugged me the most was the story about the Garden of Eden. I couldn’t accept that one thing created all that is out of nothing. It seemed too easy of an answer to the extremely complex question of how did we come to be. To me evolution is a fact, you will take antibiotic when you get a bacterial infection and if you don’t finish the antibiotic you risk the chance of creating an antibiotic resistant strain. This is evolution at its finest.

I believe that since the start of life evolution was motivated by survival of the fittest, but when I say fittest I don’t mean the strongest or fastest, when I say fittest I mean is the best fit for its environment. Just like how the antibiotic strain of bacteria survived the fittest to survive in the antibiotic environment, or the evolution from cavemen to the modern man.

Some might say that with the way our society is set up does not promote the evolution of our species, but I disagree. I believe that we are evolving drastically. Natural selection for humans involves personality, intelligence, attractiveness and so on. The evolution of humans is most prevalent in our ideas. Not to long ago no one thought about airplanes, electricity or even gravity and without these ides the world would not be so complex.

Evolution explains a good deal of what we know about the history of living things. It is a well supported theory and I know what I believe is true and it is only a matter of time before the whole world accepts evolution as a fact.