Once Upon A Time

Stacey - San Diego, California

I believe that everything I learned about life came from a Disney movie. When I was growing up Disney movies were my bible, I lived by the words and images that were on the screen. When I watched the movies I would drift away into my own fantasy, where everyone was caring and in the end the prince and princess always lived happily ever after. It came as a rude awaking when a situation threw me back into reality.

When I was a junior in High School I realized how naïve I was to believe in fairytales. Until that moment I had the picture prefect life, loving family, hundreds of friends, good grades and was a happy go luck girl. In my eyes the cup was always half full, it never occurred to me that some people thought the cup was practically empty. Ironically, I was at Disneyland when I got a phone call that would change my life, one of my closest friends had committed suicide. She was someone I admired and loved in was then that the Disney magic went out. For months I kept to myself, not caring about anything. The polar opposite of what I use to be.

Now, fast-forwarding to my senior year. For our senior writing assignment we had to write about a memorable part of our lives, I wrote about hearing the news of my friend’s death. After presenting my essay to our class we felt the need to create a suicide prevention group, where we went around to classes and talked about suicide and how it affects everyone, not just one person. During one of our presentations a random quote from “The Lion King” popped into my head. “You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become.” It was at that moment I realized I was no longer Stacey; I was a mummy just going through the motions and was unable to let go of the pain. But in those few seconds I transformed myself, back to who I was before. With the help of Mufasa I became a strong person again. Also I realized that even though she was gone, her spirit lives in me and with the students her story had touched.

I am much older now, but I still believe that everything I learned about life was through a Disney movie. The movies showed me how to love, the importance of friendship and being able to forgive. Also to never forget who I am. The messages in the movies are so much in depth then living happily ever after, I just never took a deeper look. Even though I don’t have the typical Disney movie it is still possible. My life can still be the fairytale just with some additional scenes and bloopers.