Jennifer - San Diego, California
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe that our world is in need of positive role models. In this day and age, the lack of positive figures has contributed to a demoralized society.

The perfect role model in my eyes is a person who stands up for what he/she believes in, no matter what the outcome may be. It is a person who possesses the qualities that we hope to gain, and who makes us realize that we want to become the best person we can be.

Looking back on my parents divorce, I remember how hard it was for me to cope with the painful situation. It was a difficult time for everyone in my family, but for some reason, I was affected the most. For the first time in my life, I realized that our perfect family would never be the same again.

After witnessing my parent’s failed marriage, I was very discouraged and lost my desire to apply myself like I once had. I was so pre-occupied with the effects of my parent’s divorce, that I didn’t realize how my mother had truly been my role model all along.

My mother displays the characteristics of determination, strength, and love for others, all of which are symbolic of a true role model. She constantly told me to never give up, and she proved her point when she tried to overcome the problems with my father. Her determination inspired me to follow a profession that I love, even though it may not be lucrative.

My mother’s strength is undeniable. Here is a woman who was married for eighteen years, now alone to raise four children, yet she managed to create a stable environment, and provide a loving home. Although she was scared, she always remained strong for us and put on a happy face. She showed her love for others when she attended every volleyball, basketball, and soccer game that we played. For every piano recital that I had, she would sit in the front row with tears streaming down her face, as she proudly watched me perform.

Despite the obstacles in my mother’s life, she has managed to become one of the most influential and powerful people I will ever encounter. She makes me want to be a better person, and without her, I would be lost. We need more people in the world like my mother to give hope to those who may have lost their way. This I believe.