Even Addictions Can Be Overcome

enrique - USA
Themes: addiction, change

When you are smoking a pack of cigarettes a day at the age of seventeen, the first thing that comes to mind is addiction. This was my case when I was still in high school.

I started smoking at a really young age. I would do it just for fun or to feel cool with other people. I never thought I would smoke more than a couple of cigarettes a week. However, when I was a junior in high school, I would smoke a pack a day. I would do it because it was a habit, an addiction. Feeling cool was something that I had totally forgotten about. I felt the need of those cigarettes. My mother would buy nicotine patches and nicotine gum to help my addiction. As much help as I received, my need for smoking would not decline. Then something happened that changed my life forever. During my summer of senior year, my grandmother died of lung cancer because of smoking. My parents kept telling me that I would end up like that if I continued. This leads to my belief. It took a whole death in my family to make me believe in myself and in the will to stop smoking, but most important, to make me believe in the sanctity of human life.

It is sad to say but thanks to my grandma’s death, I was able to realize and make sense of the dangers of smoking. It took a lot for me to quit. I am grateful that smoking is no longer a threat in my life. Now that I have quit, I stop and think of how bad it is for a human body to smoke. Life itself to me is the most precious thing and I think it is waste to deduct years in one’s life by contributing with external factors like smoking. After my experience, I do realize that it is very difficult to stop an addiction. It takes a matter of will and appreciation of life to realize that smoking has no benefits and just factors our lives.