Jeffrey - orange, California

Have you ever dreamed of going to work because you wanted to and not because you had to? I believe you can, and you can make it an enjoyable experience. When I moved down to college, I was lonely and depressed, I thought long and hard on how to change my situation and I decided a job was the best solution. The job search itself was difficult but when I finally found a job I had a feeling it was going to be a good one.

In the summer of 2005 I began my career at Nordstrom. I was brand new to the retail industry so I started as a stock employee, they put me the back folding clothes and cleaning, which sucked. But after a few weeks of hard work I asked my manager if I could be moved to the sales floor and fortunately my manager agreed. I was so excited, the sales floor is where all the action is, and you see hundreds of customers a week but what was even better was you got to interact with co-workers for eight hours every time you work. This was my first real job so meeting completely random people and working with them for eight hours a day was an experience and hard to adjust to in the beginning. I was the new kid in the department and everyone else had been there for months, they had established that close-knit relationship. I however was on the outside, trying to established that relationship with them, the first few weeks were fun but I could tell that I wasn’t on the same level that all my other co-workers were on.

As time passed, things went from good to great. When I first started working at Nordstrom I enjoyed going to work because it was my first job, it was the natural adrenaline you get when you do something new that motivated me. But as time passed I started going to work because I was excited to see my co-workers. I was excited to hear what they did over the weekend; what they were doing the next weekend, and everything else that was going on in their lives and they felt the same way about me. Going to work went from a job I had to do into an enjoyable experience with my friends. We all bonded like we were brothers and sisters. We all loved each and couldn’t wait to go out after work to hang out even more.

People may think this is too good to be true, but if you find a job in which you enjoy and work with people who are the same, your work experience will be significantly greater. Finding a job and co-workers like this is difficult, but the experience wound not be as valuable as it is, if you didn’t have to work hard to get it. Work can be more than just a job; it can be an enjoyable experience, and this I believe.