Allison - Lafayette, California

I’m a big fan of any “Would you rather?” question, so when my friend asks me “What would you rather have? Too much of something or too little.”. I stop to try and consider what I’d rather say. I decided to go with too much, simply because it sounded like the easier way to go because even if I’d have too much I knew I’d always have enough. I gave her my simple answer ready for the debate that would take place about which one was really the better one. To defend my side I thought more about why “too much” could be better, I didn’t come up with much except for the one simple fact that can be true in anyone’s life. Even though I might be stuck with too much hair and too many bug bites I could never have too much happiness.

Unfortunately in the structured world of today where we move about like robots, cold and never changing there seems like there is no room to be happy. Schedules are planned months in advance, the daily routine is plotted down the hour, one fluke and the whole day explodes in your face. Despite this stress inducing way of life we continue to live it, being trapped in the norms of society. As I look around I’m afraid to see that sometimes I too have fallen into this trap of following this path that so many try to take leading to the so called perfect mold of what so many aim to be like and forgetting what’s important to me.

Why do people think there is an ideal state of living and even and ideal person to act like? There should be no standard belief of what people are supposed to live by simply. To me the best way you can live is to be who you want to be by doing what makes you happy. This is what I believe. I’m writing this essay because I want people to remember why they’re here and that you can’t live your life to the fullest if you’re trying to live like someone else. The best way to live life isn’t by following the trends and getting the best paying job it’s something much better than that.

The fact of the matter is at the end of life I highly doubt anyone will mull over all they’ve experienced and be satisfied because they know they fit into a certain mold in life. What it’s going to come down to is the little fond memories that have stuck with you all your years. I’m not saying that if you live life following what makes you happy that it’s always going to be a breeze that’s not how life works, but the friends you make and the good times you have will stick with you no matter where you are and that’s what will make a difference.