Alex - San Diego, California

Friends can come and go with the changes in life but the one thing that doesn’t change is your family. I never understood how some kids could talk about how much they disgust their parents and family members. A lot of, I’m sure, has to do with immaturity and not understanding the big picture. I grew up cursing my parents for making my brother, sister, and I move 9 times before I ever made it to college. Never the less I could never stay mad at my parents for they were the ones who gave me a home, gave me food to eat and just about anything else I needed. My older brother, by two years, has always been the perfect role model for me. Whether it was excelling in the classroom or just a being a good person, he was always someone I could look up to. My parents strived to give me the best life possible and I’ll always be in debt to them for that. Something that has occurred to me more clearly over the last few months in my life is that nothing is more important than family.

My family now resided in Texas which is nearly 1400 miles away from where I live in San Diego and my trip home for thanksgiving made me take a step back and appreciate everything. I left San Diego having all sorts of problems in school and in my social life. Suffering from a form of a broken heart, a trip home was the perfect medicine. Along with my personal problems came the problems inside the family as my grandpa was recently diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his esophagus. He lives in central California and was spending time with other members of our family but his presence was still felt and left a cloud over our thanksgiving. All the emotions I was feeling had me a little distressed but then I found myself taking a look at everyone in my family which included my Mom, Dad, older brother and little sister and thought to myself that there isn’t anything in the world that I wouldn’t do for anyone of them and I knew they felt the same.

Throughout my life I’ve made friends in numerous towns but I’ve only managed to stay in touch with a handful of them. And one thing that hasn’t changed is that my family has always been right there with me. There is nothing more important in the world than family, they are your blood and they are who you spent 18 years of your life with. People change, friends change, but no matter what your family is your family and they always will be and this is what I believe.