Ian - Reno, Nevada

I believe that setting goals for yourself will help you get to where you want to be later in life. I think that if there is something that you truly want really badly, that you should set goals for yourself to better your chances of accomplishing what you want to do. Goals will keep your mind on what is important so that you will not get distracted by thing that may get in the way that are not important.

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with my Grandpa that made me realize what I wanted to do with my life. He told me that I needed to start thinking about it soon because college isn’t that far off. He told me if I liked band enough, that I should try for a scholarship in it. Then he told me that I should start writing down goals for myself so that I could keep focused on what I wanted to do.

The next day we went out and bought a spiral notebook and began writing my goals in it. The goals that I wrote in the notebook were not just about how I was going to get into college, they were about life in general. I made goals like staying drug free, and staying in shape. I made goals that I thought I wanted and that I would be capable of achieving. And after I had done something that would assist me towards one of my goal I would write about it in the notebook.

So far I think that keeping this goal notebook has helped me tremendously in bettering myself to achieve my goals, and I think the affect would be the same on everyone else if they put an effort into it.