Teresa - Chula Vista, California
Themes: death, family, purpose

Growing up I learned to believe that everything happens for a reason. When I was five years old, my father passed away. At the time I didn’t really understand what that meant; I just knew that my papi was never going to come home. At school I saw how life was without a father because all my friends had mommies and daddies and I knew that I didn’t. I soon realized that my family life wasn’t like in the movies or on the TV, but in reality it was only just my mother and I or mommy and me.

As I look back at my childhood memories, it’s hard for me to pick out a bad one. I always was a happy kid and I never felt that I was living a deprived life. I went on mini vacations to amusement parks, had fun all day long at the park or at the beach, and owned every single Barbie doll ever made. Maybe my mother did all those things so I would never feel sad for not having a father. My mom gave me the world and it was rare for me to feel sad. The only times I felt sad was when I started to think of my dad, but my mom always knew how to get me to feel better and fix it.

Sixteen years later, after my father’s death I miss him and think about him every second of everyday. I know that he has helped me become who I am today and will continue to in the future. Not having a father figure in my life and my mom not having a husband has made us stronger women who do not have to depend on men for everything.

We live our life for the two of us and look out for each other. We have become really close that I can talk to her about anything. Now I know not many people can say that about their mothers, but I can. We go shopping together, go out to eat and even went to party in Las Vegas. Now that I am twenty one years old, we have even gone out to dance at El Torritos and the Agave Grill. She is more then just a mother to me, but my best friend.

I know for a fact that if my father was still alive, I would not be allowed to go out to the clubs. He was really strict and had many rules. My mother at the end of the day is still my mother, and I still have rules but I feel that if my father didn’t pass away then my mother and I wouldn’t have gotten so close. I truly believe that everything does happen for a reason.