Aubrey - Wilmington, Massachusetts
Themes: death, gratitude

I Believe That Time and Fate Take Their Own Roads

No matter who you are, what you do for a living, what mood you are in or what goes on inside or outside your family, you should always have a goal to spend as much time with the ones that you love as much as possible. You never know what could happen because it only takes a split second for something to go wrong in your life or the lives of friends around you. And you should never take advantage of there always being enough time to do something later, procrastinating thing is never a good thing. Never say, “Oh I can do that tomorrow.” Stay in the moment and never look forward because fate takes its own course, you don’t have a say for certain aspects of your life.

Through out my life I have seen many misfortunes of both my family, and my close friends. When I was about 10 or 11 years old my dad’s oldest sibling, (of 14) my Aunt Andrea had been having trouble with her cancer which she had been diagnosed with for a long time. She passed away a few weeks after my dad went to see her. And this just made me realize how important it is to spend time with those you care about. It was unfortunate that I had never really gotten to know her which I think about everyday. My dad and I talk about her every now and then and I just wish this I could have remembered her just the slightest bit but whenever I try to think of her I don’t remember a thing about her. I do remember going to her house, after she had passed, with my family to pick up some things from her house. I know from word that she was very talented at sports. I always believe that I had gotten some of my talent from her and that makes me strive to be better at those activities.

A few years later my dad’s father passed and then two years following my dad’s mother passed as well. I had the same situation with these to loving people but of course I did get a little bit more time with them. But not as much as my older brothers, which stinks. I remember my grandma more because she was around longer, I remember ice skating with her and also hiking our family hill with her for a family reunion, but that is basically all I can ever think of. Both of my grandparents were amazing people, especially because they had 14 children. I will always love and miss both of them.

Every summer I go to a sleep-away camp with friends from Wilmington and other towns nearby. The camp is a Methodist camp and this year seemed to be an extremely overwhelming year. One of my best friends at camp, Emily, lives with her grandmother because it is closer to her private school. She doesn’t mind living with her grandmother but she does miss her mother while she is away. As all the kids were in the yard Emily was called in to talk to the counselors with her other friend. Then later the group was called to “Point ‘O Pines”, which is our sanctuary, and they told us what was going on.

We found out that Emily’s mother had past away early that morning.

When I found this out a chill went up and down my spin and I started crying hysterically. It made me realize how quick anything can happen whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. My best friend, Allie Bleier, and I just sat on the shore crying and holding each other and just figuring out what had just happened and if was truly real. One of the counselors had come up to us and said, “It makes you think of your own family, and your moms, and how you would feel if that ever happened to you doesn’t it?” Both of just sat there and nodded, too shocked to speak. It wasn’t just our own lives that we were thinking of; we were shocked of how it happened to one of our best friends. It shows that it doesn’t matter who you are or how important you are, fate is what decides the path for your life.

From then on my perspective of life was changed forever and I now know to not look ahead or put things off, but to just live in the moment with the ones whom you love because anything can happen whether you are ready for it or not.