Michelle - San Diego, California

I believe that mothers are seldom appreciated. They have babies that eat, cry and cause infinite sleepless nights. These babies then become children that scream for toys, games, attention, love and everything else in the world. Finally they reach their teenage years shouting for cell phones, cars, money, privacy, and everything but family. When do they stop screaming and start being grateful?

My single mother was unfortunate enough to have three girls and one boy who thought they were the center of the world and wanted everything in it. She could often be heard saying to me, “You know Michelle the world doesn’t revolve around you.” For a long time, I could not fathom how this was possible.

It was Christmas time and I was sixteen. All I wanted in the world was a cell phone. So I opened up all my gifts and to my surprise there was no cell phone. Then I went straight up to my mother and screamed, “All I wanted was a cell phone! And you didn’t get it for me!” A hidden box began to ring; low and behold my mother had bought me a cell phone. She was so angry at my ungrateful behavior and yet I still got the phone.

Till this day I cannot believe just how spoiled I was. My mother had always tried to provide me with everything I could ever want. What I hadn’t realized till after high school was just how hard this was for my mother. She has maintained at least two jobs throughout her life and was forced to move back in with her parents (my grandparents) after her divorce. Yet all the money she made was spent on us, her kids. She never bought herself clothes, jewelry or purses. And she still drives around her old 1991 Honda Accord while she bought me a 2001 Honda Civic.

I drove this Civic away to college where I experienced a new world of responsibility. Rent was due at the beginning of the month along with gas, electric, water and cable bills. In order to pay for all these expenses, I needed a job. I began waitressing and made enough money that I no longer took any money from my mom. Becoming independent from her made me realize all the things she had done and continues to try to do for me. But most importantly it made me see my mom for the amazing person she is. Now that I’m about to graduate college one thing I aspire to do is to take care of my mother just as she has done for me, to put her first. I believe in the appreciation of my mom.