Erwin - Concord, California
Themes: sports

When I was 13 years old, I played CYO basketball for my local church team.

It was a great season my team and I enjoyed. We all learned how to play together as a

cohesive unit and developed a strong work ethic out on the court. It was the census that

we could all attribute this to the man who coached us, Coach Vigus.

Coach Vigus taught us many things through basketball that season but the lesson

I still value the most from him was about the fear of losing.

When I first stepped onto the court for my first CYO game I was incredibly

nervous. I could not play to my strengths because I was playing to hide my weaknesses as

a player. That first game did not go as I had imagined in my head. I specifically

remember one play in which I picked up my dribble and was looking to pass. The

defender immediately swarmed me and in panic I threw a sloppy pass that got picked off

in mid air which quickly turned into two points for the other team. After that play I

looked over at my coach standing at the bench, all the while thinking “why isn’t he

subbing me out?”. Instead he yelled at me to keep going and push the pace.

After the game, Coach Vigus sat me down and told me I had played well.

Honestly I had no clue what he was talking about and I guess he could see it on the

expression of my face. He then asked me what was holding me back during the game.

I told him that I was nervous and did not want to screw anything up for the team. What

came afterwards would be the theme to the rest of my season.

Coach explained to me that I was letting the fear of losing control the way

I played the game. He said “failure is part of the process of success and people who

avoid failure also often avoid success”. He assured me that any mistakes I made

during the game was ok as long as I got back up from them. He ended our conversation

with me making a promise to myself. I promised that I wouldn’t be afraid to lose.

From then on, the rest of the season was a blur. We won game after game only

losing once. Every game I played worry-free and let my passion for the game, instead of

fear, control how I played.

Soon the season ended and I found myself reflecting on it. In doing so, I

thought about the promise I made to myself. Upon further reflection I came to an

epiphany; That promise didn’t just apply to basketball but to life itself. Upon that

realization, I have since noticed that I have never met anyone who had fallen in love who

had never had their heart broken. I have never met anyone who bowled who had never

thrown the ball into the gutter. And I certainly have never met, let alone heard of anyone,

who has won at anything and never lost.