Edith - San Diego, California

This I believe….

I believe one should not be discriminated by the color of their skin or by stereotypes that society has made, but what truly matters is what their character is really worth. Being first generation American, I have witnessed all my life the difficulties that my parents have faced having to prove themselves to society. My parents immigrated to this country at a very young age for a better life and for more and better opportunities. They have given this country all their hard work and dedication. They shouldn’t have to live their lives having people speak to them in a condescending way or be treated any different because of their lack of education or by the color of their skin.

Growing up in a community that is primarily upper class, my father always made it clear that we were to hold our head up high and stand up for ourselves when we our around the county and when people would misjudge us because of what we looked like. Even with very little education and a language barrier my father was able to work his way up in his company to be able for us to live in a good community that would let us live in a positive and safe environment. Due to the fact that there weren’t many minorities in my community, it was often many times that we would be judged when we would walk into fancy stores or places of primarily upper class. The store clerk would look at us as if we didn’t belong there as if we were out of place. Due to personal and financial reasons my parents weren’t able to further their education but have provided that to my siblings and I.

With major sacrifice from my parents, all of my siblings have been fortunate to have gone to college and receive a degree. So although they have been getting misjudged by society, they were able to face and fight the major stereo types and continued to stay strong for us in order to watch us succeed.

I believe that no matter where you came from, we are all in this country for better opportunity, freedom, and rights. The fact that discrimination is still taking place in this country is wrong. I believe discrimination and judging is wrong. I believe we shouldn’t judge someone based on a silly stereotype but get to know their character first.