Samuel - Gilbert, Arizona

One of my most distinctive beliefs and one that has truly shaped my life is my conviction that dating is wrong. I myself have never dated and have encouraged those close to me to take the same path as I. My reasoning comes from personal experiences and my religious beliefs. Being a Christian, I support my dating views with the Bible but have also developed other sources for support because I know that everyone has different beliefs. My only hope is that through my life others will see the positive effect that “not dating” has.

I have heard of and seen countless situations where a couple will break up and then the two people will never talk to each other again. They harbor hatred towards each other. Most couples start dating with no intention of carrying the relationship on to marriage yet they are still upset when the breakup actually happens. This lack of commitment is especially prevalent in teenage dating. If this is the mindset of dating today, then perhaps that is why marriages are so prone to fail. If today’s dating population would simply obtain patience and wait to commit themselves to just one person, our society would indeed be void of so many broken relationships and broken families. Needless to say, breakups are one of the reasons why I stay away from dating. I am certainly content to say that I have never experienced a breakup and hope to be able to say that for the rest of my life.

Dating takes away from the sanctity of marriage. It’s as simple as that. When someone enters into a dating relationship, they give part of their heart to their partner. They will never be able to get that back. Thus, when the marriage day comes for someone who has been through numerous dating relationships, they are not able to give their whole heart to their spouse. The vision that I have for my wedding day is this: when the pastor says, “you may kiss the bride,” my spouse and I shall kiss for the first time. Is that not a beautiful picture? There is so much more significance in the “first kiss” and so much more unity in a marriage in which two people have their whole hearts to give to each other. Dating takes the symbolism and uniqueness from marriage and weakens its bonds.

Dating is a passionate subject for me. While there is much more that goes along with my beliefs, these are just a few of the core convictions I have acquired throughout my life. It hasn’t been an easy road at times, or a popular one. I have been faced with many temptations to compromise, but with faith and strength, I have been able to overcome them. I hope that my life is a good example to others and wait with patience and anticipation for the day that I can give my complete heart to that one special person.