Emily - reno, Nevada

This I believe

Sometimes I wonder if there really is something out there that’s bigger than human kind. Did it come from the mind of some story telling man or woman who made it up to tell the tale around a campfire? Am I wrong to doubt myself and my beliefs? I go to church, but sometimes it’s in the back of my mind. Does anyone else feel what I feel inside, or am I the only indecisive person thinking these thoughts?

I don’t know if it comes with my age or just my logical instincts. But deep down I know that there really is a God and that religion is vital in some people’s well being. I’m not saying that I dislike those who have no religion; I’m not one who is so entangled with religion that I let it run my life. I’ve seen people pin religion to everything they do. I had a friend whose parents were strong believers. She felt as if she didn’t have to listen to her dad because he parents were divorced. I remember one night that I stayed over and he was instructing her to do something; that in my mind seemed foolish. Being in that mind state she didn’t listen and he returned with a bible in his hand and was spitting out religious comments such as God doesn’t love you if you’re bad. I told myself that I wouldn’t ever let my religion make me someone that I’m not. In my head I think “God is watching over me and those I love”. I never go as far as thinking others are unsatisfactory because of things they do or believe.

I let it mold things in my life, but I don’t let it cloud my judgment. If you love God, or not even at all, you are one with yourself. I believe that it’s the choice of the chooser not those around them. Religion lets people feel as if something is bigger than them.

I’m comfortable with the way I believe. I don’t think I need to compare it to that of anyone else’s because one thing to one person can be the total opposite to another. I believe that if you’re comfortable with the way you run your life and the choices you make in it, then you don’t need to explain your beliefs to anyone. Chances are they think the antithesis of what you do, and it would be wrong to judge someone else’s life against your own.

Everyone is different and we all believe different things. I believe that religion is important to me, it may not be to others and that’s something that everyone needs to accept. It gives me something to believe in and that’s enough for me. Often I look to the sky at the porcelain white clouds and the baby blue sky surrounding it and I think “this is me and this I believe.”