Taylor - Scottsdale, Arizona

I Believe In

3,876 American’s dead with another 28,530 wounded at an estimated cost of nearly three trillion dollars, this is our war. I am 18 years old with my whole life in front of me; the last place I would want to be is in, dying for a war I don’t believe in. If this war continues and spirals into the second Vietnam, could a draft start? Would my friends and I become just another casualty, another statistic to be placed in the newspapers? I believe that the war in Iraq is an unjust one, run by an imperial American President who wasn’t forthcoming with all the facts.

This is a war that the George Bush said needed to be enacted to free a dictatorship run country that was responsible for the terrorist attacks on 9/11. But after capturing Saddam Hussein and finding not a single trace of weapons of mass destruction, the war continued. Because of the United States’ “help” Iraq is now in shambles. President Bush has left its citizens with no electricity, extremely reduced food rations, improper disposal of sewage, and an unemployment rate of 60%. This is an interesting way of having a war to help the citizens of Iraq isn’t it, Mr. Bush?

In the War in Iraq, President Bush believed that he would enter the country and seize all of their oil; the war was never about freeing an oppressed nation. Under the same conditions as the present war, Vietnam ended largely because of public demonstrations. The only reason there hasn’t been demonstrations about the Iraq war is because there hasn’t been a draft that has enacted. The war is projected to cost the United States around three trillion dollars, valuable dollars that could be put toward bettering our nation itself. With such a large deficit the United States can’t afford to renovate its school systems, closing our boarders to protect our national security, and perfect our healthcare system. All of these programs and more could be easily funded if we weren’t at war.

As an 18 year old, I have to have strong believes regarding such a serious issue. With a draft I would be asked to put my life on the line for something I strongly don’t believe in. I believe in this topic so strongly because there are soldiers dying everyday and I could be one of them. I could be another casualty in a war that has no purpose and no benefit to the United States or its citizens. Instead of starting a war for gasoline, President Bush could have mandated to auto companies to switch to cleaner fuels. The government could subsidize those companies for creating new fuels. If President Bush passed this order we wouldn’t be in a war where thousands of our countries sons are being killed. Maybe there is still a chance for change to reach our country and the world, so there will be a world still here for my grandchildren to prosper in.