Justin - Claremont, California

America, right even when we are wrong- This I Believe. We will do what we want, when we want. Why? Because we can, and what can anyone else do about it.

America is the greatest nation on earth. Now, this is wrong. But, that doesn’t matter, because we are the most powerful nation on earth and this is correct. Ideally, America’s power should not entitle it to complete and utter righteousness. However, we do not live in an ideal world. We live in an overly militarized world with a global economy-this I believe.

Now, let us suppose that another foreign country decides to go against America, and tell us that we are wrong. This is very brave of our new enemy. It is also quite stupid for if pushed or defied enough we will demand that they show their people democracy. Of course, pushing America to the point of military is not advisable in the least. So, the country instead can only stand behind a podium and deliver a speech to the UN about the great wrongdoings of America. They can raise the diplomats to their feet about how America needs to stop torture at secret CIA prisons, but they can’t make us stop. They can ask nicely, they can even get the UN to mandate it, but they can’t force us to do anything. America has complete military dominance.

With the strongest, most technologically advanced air force, and the world’s foremost wet navy, America is unbeatable in modern war. Between our untraceable planes, our numerous virtually undetectable nuclear subs, and our finally working missile defense system, we can destroy our enemies with a precision disabling any potential retaliation. We have successfully eliminated Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD), and have thus made ourselves immune from true military threat. We are untouchable. We sit upon our hill of superiority and yell to the world, “ Think of attacking us and see what happens. We will drive you into the ground, destroy your infrastructure, and leave your country to be ravaged by civil war, before your weapons are even made”. Unchallenged military dominance alone, is not enough of assurance for America, so we decided to ally ourselves with the majority of countries that have even the slightest chance against our military.

Even if a foreign country could challenge the US military, why would it want to. If America were to fall, the world would fall. The world economy is so dependent on the American economy, that fears of a potential fall in the US market leads to falls in foreign markets. Americans are great at is buying foreign goods, just look at our trade deficit. A hurt America, is an America that can’t buy foreign goods. Hurting the American Economy in turn hurts the World Economy, therefore it is in the world’s interest to placate the United States, or at least not act on our wrong doings.

America, pragmatically speaking, can not be proven wrong, unless by our own accord. We are right until someone else can do something about it.