Children are the Light of the World

Kimberly - Gulfport, Mississippi
Themes: children

Everyone goes through times in their lives when they think they will not make it through another day. Life is just too complicated, how could one more thing possibly go wrong and if it does how will one make it through. Our plates are constantly overflowing with numerous responsibilities and we do not know which one to tackle first. Our heads spin from keeping a mental list of the tasks we need to complete, trying our hardest not to forget any of our duties. Rarely do we take the much needed time to enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

There are many times that I have been out with friends or family members in a store. We will walk around shopping, ranting and raving about one of life’s many problems with a sour puss on our face. Then something magical happens, we see a child, all of a sudden we stop smile at the sight of the small human; a smile so great that your heart seems to smile. Out of nowhere you seem to forget what you were just complaining about. A child brings you to the realization that there is something much greater in this world, and to fret on the small stuff really is not worth it because being able to smile from within is an incomparable feeling.

I am so thankful to be able to work with children. No matter how difficult my day may have started, as soon as I walk through the door of my job all those worries seem to disappear. Children screaming my name, pushing their way through to give me a hug; all the days’ worries seem to disappear when I see their joyous, precious, innocent faces. Children have the power to make you realize what is most important in life; being happy.

Children always seem to think the littlest things are a big problem, like not having the color crayon they wanted, and as a teacher you inform them that it really is not a big deal, everything will be okay. Reflecting on these times makes one realize that the small things nagging on them really are not as serious as they may think. It makes you remember the saying that “this too shall pass”, which makes life a lot easier to deal with, having a positive outlook. Children bring nothing but a positive perspective to life, because their love is pure and their innocence is envious. If children knew the influence they are able to place upon an adult they could never comprehend, still I remain thankful for these children and the sense of peace they bring to me and the hope that one day they too will understand how much joy they brought to my life.

Many times my co-workers and I have talked about finding a new job, a better paying job. When it comes down to the wire the love and warmth you receive from a child is more substantial than any monetary value. We all conquer that if it was not for the children it would be much easier to leave. However, the daily gift of the purest, most unconditional love is irreplaceable; life would seem empty without them. Children truly are the light of the world, without them it would be so dark.