Deandra - Americus, Georgia

Servers are our Unacknowledged Heroes

Every time you take a seat at a table in a restaurant, what is your first thought about your server? Are you worried about their color, their gender, or finding simple reasons not to tip them? But have you ever stopped to think that the cooks make the food you eat? Or that the flat Sprite is not hand made? So, the quality of your food, is not exactly all their fault.

When they greet you, are you wishing he/she would hurry up and take your order? Or, is their presence a disturbance to you? Do you thank them when they take your order? Or simply ignore them all together, and continue your conversation?

We all at some point have been rude and obnoxious to a server. We have not tipped them for their work, blamed them for undercooked and cold food. Why blame them for your food? They probably entered your order in correctly, but some cooks just don’t feel like taking pickles off your sandwich. Do you ever stop and think that we have nice folded napkins because of them, our silverware, chairs, tables, and bathrooms are clean because of them?

Our dining experience is made easier because of them. Whether it’s a well done steak, or a medium rare hamburger, extra tomatoes, no onions, and BBQ sauce on the side, we all have taken our servers for granted. We receive extra butter and mayo because they take the time to go retrieve it. They refill our drinks, get that lemon wedge we love to have with our sweet tea. Everything we put into our mouths, whether it is A-1 steak sauce or lemon butter, it all has to come through their hands. So why not be nice to them? Why not say thank you, and hold simple conversations with them? They make your dining experience what it is, so why not be polite it’s only right.

Our servers are our friends, and I believe that they are the most overlooked workers in our society today, their underpaid, overworked, and deserve a little sympathy from time to time. Whether it is in cash form, or a simple gesture to make sure that next time you come in and visit, your experience is great, and so is theirs.