Cat Scratch Fever

Katie - Biloxi, Mississippi

Animals are unpredictable. I work at an animal hospital in Mississippi. I love my job. Working with animals is truly amazing, but it is by no means an easy task. I have had to learn how to do many new things since I have started working at the vet clinic. Learning to handle animals has probably been one of my hardest challenges. There are so many different kinds of animals. I have encountered dogs, cats, birds, guinea pigs, and pigs. Each animal must be handled in a different way. The only real way to learn how to properly handle an animal is to just get in there and do it. Learning this task requires a lot of hard work and strength.

When I first started working at the vet, my first task was to learn how to handle the dogs in boarding. I thought it would be a piece of cake, but I was sadly mistaken. I had an extremely hard time learning how to handle dogs, especially scared, big, or aggressive ones. I was so used to handling my sweet and tiny little dog at home. Handling the dogs in boarding was completely different. I learned quickly to never kneel down in front a dog, especially an aggressive one. One time that I had done so, I almost had my head taken off by a Weimar Rainer the size of a small Great Dane. I was so scared; I quickly learned to never do that again. I later learned to never disturb a dog while eating, no matter how big or small the dog is. I learned this lesson the hard way when a dog snapped my hand when I was trying to move his bowl. Finally, one of my last lessons I learned was to never be afraid of the animals. Dogs can sense fear; I had a lot of fears when I first started working at the clinic. I once again learned through a near dog attack that I must control my fears first if I expected a dog to obey me. With time, and extremely hard work, I mastered all of these techniques. Then I moved on to cats.

Cats are con artists. They are cute, fluffy, and cuddly on the outside, but they are savage beasts on the inside. I really struggled with handling cats when I first started working at the clinic. Everyone always told me that I couldn’t be afraid of them, but it was really hard to not be afraid of something hissing and bearing its teeth at me. I learned through many scratches and a couple of bites that the only way to handle a cat is to right away assume that it is not friendly and handle is in the most careful way as possible. To this day, I still slightly struggle with handling cats, but it is nothing that time and hard work cannot fix.