Corrinne - Long Beach, Mississippi

Ever since I was little, I loved to give and receive hugs. In fact my parents had to tell me to stop, and give me limits on how many times I could hug a person. Hugs are how we say hello and good-bye to someone we know; they can also be used to say I’m sorry, or I hope you feel better soon. However, hugs will always mean I love you. Hugs are reassuring, encouraging, heart-warming, and best of all they are free.

Working with one-year-olds everyday shows you how much hugs are an important part of our life. I can tell when parents are not spending a lot of time with their child and when parents are spending quality time with their child. It is all in how much a child wants to be held, and cuddled. The child who wants to be held and cuddled the most actually has little time with his or her parents. These one-year-olds just want to be loved.

One little girl has her best days at school right after she gets back from being sick. After she gets back from being sick she does not want to be held as much and she is easier to keep happy and she gets in less trouble. After a while of this she slips back into getting into more trouble, wanting to be held and crying all the time.

Another way to tell is how the child acts in a small group. Usually, if the child does not play with the other children, or does not cooperate when you ask him or her to do something they may spend a little time with his or her parents, but it is not quality time.

One little boy does not play with the other children at all, instead he hides from people he does not know and he does not do what all the other children do in circle time. He uses squeals and points when he wants something, when the other children ask for it using the sign language we try to teach them.

When I hug these children I am saying I care about you, and you are special. These children know I love them and that I would never do anything to hurt them. I understand they want to be held, but I find just a quick hug will do most of the time. Parents need to make time for their children and love on them everyday.

My parents love me and I still love hugs, but I think they hugged me so much that it carried over in other parts of my life and that is why I love to give and receive hugs.