Robert - Gulfport, Mississippi
Themes: patriotism, war

I believe in supporting our troops. My father retired from the United States Navy, and my grandfather served in World War II in France and Germany. My great grandfather served in World War I in France and Germany. I also have many friends who are in the Army National Guard. In fact, I have friends who have served in Iraq and already came back, but one of my closest friends is going to be deployed to Iraq sometime in 2008. I will pray for him, and I respect what he is doing as well as the other soldiers who have served for and protected our beautiful country.

I believe in supporting the troops because they fight for our freedom and protect us from terrorists. They risk their lives for people they have never even met and may not ever meet. They serve our country with courage and pride. They make many sacrifices just to fight for America and keep America the way it is. Some soldiers are lost in war, but they died protecting our country. They went down like heroes. Their families should be proud of what their soldier has done for our country.

American soldiers not only fight for and protect the United States, but they also protect other countries from terrorist attacks. The soldiers try to train the people of other countries how to protect themselves from terrorists. They free other countries from cruel dictators who make themselves rich while the people of the country suffer from poverty. The soldiers liberate the women in countries where they are treated as second class citizens. They help countries form their own government and help them restore their cities.

The soldiers provide invaluable supplies and medical assistance for countries that are hit by natural disasters. They protect and defend the constitution. They sacrifice finances and family time with training and combat deployment. I know when I was younger I did not see my father very often, but I do not regret what he did for his country. I am extremely proud of him and every other soldier. The draft ended in 1973. This means that every soldier since then, and even some before, has been a volunteer. The troops deserve more respect than anyone. Basically, supporting the troops is the right thing to do.