Jamie - Charlotte, North Carolina

It was the summer before seventh grade, I was in New York, and I had received a phone call. You never expect phone calls to be bad, but this one was. When I answered the phone the first thing my brother said to me was, “Mom is okay so please do not be worried.” As soon as I heard that my heart dropped to the floor. I asked him what had happened and he said, “Mom got hit by a car and was ambulanced to the hospital.” My mind was racing, I never thought that something so tragic would ever happen to me in my life. I also never thought that I was going to be told that she had to be resuscitated. When I got off the phone I had to explain to my grandmother what had happened and make sure she remained calm for my brother and I. It took about two days for my grandmother and I to book a flight back to Myrtle Beach. When we arrived we received even more bad news. My mom had developed amnesia. This was very hard for all of us to bear. I did not realize how bad her amnesia was until the next day. My mom had woken up and started to scream, she did not recognize who my grandmother was. Then she asked where she was. My mom could not even remember that we moved out of New York or who her mother was. It took a while for everything to get back to normal. After she started to recuperate from the accident my mom found out she had a disease called Scleroderma. Scleroderma is an autoimmune disease that causes your skin to harden. When my mom finally found a doctor that specialized in this disease he told her she had six months to live. For a ten year old, almost losing your mother is hard enough, but trying to comprehend the fact that your mother had six months to live is nearly impossible. I honestly never thought that my life would change so drastically. This was definitely one of the scariest times in my life, one that I will always remember.

Since we were involved in our local church some of the parishioners came to help us cope during this rough time in our lives. I was surprised that so many people had come to help us because I was always the little girl in the corner who thought no one ever cared. It was not until this time in my life that I realized there are people out there who are willing to help you whenever you need it. I truly believe that there are kind hearted people in this world who act as if they are guardian angels. They may be few and far in-between, but they are out there. These people are watching over us and will be there when we truly need them.