Sara - Saucier, Mississippi

On my father’s side of my family my grandfather died from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease before I ever met him. On my mother’s side of my family my grandparents died almost a week apart. My grandfather died from unexplained reasons and my grandmother died from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. I was very close to my grandparents on my mother’s side of the family and their deaths were very traumatizing. My grandfather was overweight and had a very poor diet. He had a heat stroke at work and was brought to the hospital where he was told he had a rare blood disorder. He was connected to a machine that was supposed to correct the disorder and died. The hospital said that he had died from having another heat stroke. Whatever my grandfather died from I believe that it probably had something to do with his health problems resulting from his poor diet. My grandfather on my father’s side and my grandmother on my mother’s side both died from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. I know that my grandmother suffered with this disease for over a decade. The last years of her life she almost never got out of bed. They both had this disease as a result of smoking. My grandmother eventually stopped smoking but the damage had already been done. My little sister was only two years old when my mother’s parents died. Both of my parents have been smoking for at least twenty years. My father also has a very poor diet and has started to gain a lot of weight. Recently, my sister and I have both started to beg our parents to stop smoking. I want any children that my sister or I may have, to not only know their grandparents, but to remember them. This is something that my little sister never had the chance to do with our grandparents. So, until the day that my parents smoke their last cigarette, I will remind them about their own parents and beg them to do all that they can to see my sister’s children and my children grow up. I believe in perseverance and I will persevere until my parents quit smoking.