Dan - san diego, California

It Doesn’t Take Much.

Imagine yourself driving on the freeway. You are in the middle lane behind somebody going 10 miles an hour under the speed limit. Calmly you decide it is time to go around this “safe” driver. You put on your blinker and check over your left shoulder. There is a car a little ways back but you have plenty of room to merge. Just as you start to veer over you check your side view mirror one last time, just for good measure. All of a sudden the car that was once a safe distance back has picked up about 20 miles per hour and is right in your blind spot. As the car passes you to the left you see that the driver is on their cell phone and has now decided to slow down. This of course traps you in. You were in a good mood, now you are about to explode.

Now imagine yourself in the exact same scenario except this time the driver that felt the need to not let you get ahead of him instead waves you in. You were in a good mood, now you are in an even better mood. On top of that, you feel refreshed and your faith in humanity has been totally restored.

I believe that the way we interact and feel about each other can be changed by a few simple kind gestures. I believe that rudeness and selfishness affect people more than they think, but kindness and generosity affect them even more.

I believe that we have grown accustomed to a day filled with being cut off and having doors shut in our face. However, I believe that because this is what we have come to expect, a few kind gestures hold more clout now than ever before.

I believe that it really doesn’t take much to ruin somebody’s day, but it also doesn’t take much to make it. The older I get the more I realize that it is how we interact with each other, not what we do that truly defines who we are.

Maybe I am foolish to believe that all the hostility we feel towards each other on a day to day basis can be alleviated by the wave of a hand or a smile and a nod, but one kind act usually follows another and that is all the proof I need.