Greg - San diego, California

I can remember the days when the family would sit and gather around the dinner table for annual thanksgiving feast. The turkey would be cooked to perfection and the sides would be steaming, just waiting for us to dig in. The last few years have been a little different though. I no longer eat turkey or any animal for that matter. I’ve been vegetarian for nearly three years now, and it has changed my life for the better.

People always ask me why I decided to do it. Was it for health reasons? Do you like animals too much to eat them? Why? Every time I felt like I was defending myself, my reason for giving it “all” up. To me the reasons are far greater than most people want to hear about. I stopped eating meat because I was tired of eating a lie. A lie that claims dairy cows live happy lives, a lie that says beef is all American, a lie that shows animals happy to be eaten.

Now, any sensible person would know that this isn’t true, but people still continue to eat it. I believe this is what defines people, being able to see a problem with how things are done and choose not to be a part of it. This is how I have chosen to live the rest of my life. I strive to find out the truth behind everything that I was told when I was growing up. I always ask myself if it is true. This simple idea can be used on so many levels of live, from our diets to our politics.

Most people see the problems we face but choose to say “there is nothing I can do” or “what difference can I make”. We all have the ability to stand up for something we believe in, it just takes a little bit courage and will. Turning against the status quo is what we need more than ever right now in this country. This has become my most important core belief; it’s too bad that I didn’t realize it sooner.