Michelle - Dallas, Texas

God, Love, and Laughter

I believe that there are only three things necessary in this world to live a complete life: God, Love, and Laughter…in that order. I myself have seen each of the three work wonders on the souls and upon the lives of countless individuals, and it is my belief that no one would want for anything if they possessed these three vital pieces of themselves.

For me, God is the most important of the three, the one that ties everything else together and gives life fulfillment. However, I know that this is also the most controversial of the three, and I’m not going to condemn anyone for believing differently than me; I simply wish to give evidence on how God has changed my life. Since I became a Christian, worldly things have held little significance for me. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I could live without my computer, but they pale in comparison to the pure joy of having God on my side. The most memorable example of this was when I was traveling by train in France, and my purse was stolen. The worst part was that I had my fairly expensive iPod in it at the time. I was pretty upset, but after a while I decided that I wasn’t going to let it ruin my vacation, because God had shown me that I didn’t need those things to be happy.

On a less controversial note, Love is the second most important factor contributing to the well-being of humankind. Love bridges the natural gap that humans create between each other, and it reminds everyone that they are not alone in this world. For example, my extended family came over for Christmas last year. As we were all decorating the tree and singing carols, I realized that the shiny packages bunched under the tree could never bring me the happiness that the warm compassion of my family brought. Most of the time, depression occurs because people feel they are invisible, that nobody cares that they are there. I know, because I’ve been there. It’s amazing the wonders a smile or a listening ear can perform, because often a little bit of Love is all someone needs to remember that they are special.

Finally, Laughter is the last of the three, but without it life would be dull and hollow. Laughter takes faith and love and transforms them into a lifelong journey, one that should be enjoyed and not dreaded. I have found that laughter and fun are what keep me going. Often, during the long hours of the school days, I find myself willing the clock to move faster, always wanting to get closer to Friday, where I am free to enjoy myself without obligations or stress. Laughter completes a fulfilling life, and together with God and Love, creates a person who can face any trial, because they have everything in life that they need.