Caitlin - Lake in the Hills, Illinois

I never thought that my father would be the one to teach me such an important lesson about trust. I have always been a “Daddy’s Girl” and have always loved being with my father. He was the most important male figure in my life. The only problem that I had with my father was the he smoked cigars.

I tried so many different ways throughout my life to get my father to stop smoking cigars. When I was in elementary school and was going through the DARE program, I would leave my DARE book on his bed open to the pages that were about smoking and lung cancer. He would always promise me that for his New Year’s resolution he would stop smoking. His promises never came true.

Finally, I thought he was actually going to stop smoking. This was at the end of my junior year of high school. He bet me that if I ran a 5K race with him, he would stop smoking, for good. Of course, I took the bet. I started to practice running. Summer came around and it was getting harder to train, due to my tennis schedule. He stated to think that I was not going to follow through with the bet. I never told him that I was not going to run the race, he just assumed that I would not have time.

During a family dinner he brought up the race. He said that he was not going to run the race and it was because I was not going to run either. I became very upset with him and could not believe what he was saying. He was telling me that he had been smoking this whole time, even though he was not supposed to be. I told him that I could never trust him again, because he had broken so many promises to me.

Eventually, the situation died down. My father still smokes to date and I have learned that there is nothing that I can do about it. The most important thing that I have learned about this and that just because someone has broken promises does not mean that you cannot trust them. My father has done so many good things for me and has always been there for me. Trust is something that needs to be built, and because my father has done so many good things, I can trust him again. Trust is the most important thing in any relationship.