Anthony - Grand Isle, Vermont
Themes: question

This is what I believe. I believe that we don’t know what to believe. We don’t know who to believe. We don’t even know why we believe. If we stop for a moment to consider who it was that taught us our values, norms, and socially acceptable ways of life, we are dumb struck with the amount of time it takes us to come up with an answer. But the lack of belief in today’s society doesn’t just end with values and norms, it continues on to facts. Even facts can be presented to us coated with white lies and false truths that we will eat up as a fourth meal added to our everyday lives.

Why should one bother to question the beliefs of society if the majority follows them? Growing up we are indirectly taught to “follow the pack”. Our mothers always told us never to act out and make a scene. Never speak to loud in a quiet room. Never draw attention to yourself. As we grow older we carry these teachings and apply them to the rest of the world.

If you were in a group of 400 people and 399 of them told you that they were 100% certain that there was a spiritual being that existed in a giant red suit and brought gifts to everyone once a year, you would be more apt to believe this true than if one person out of four hundred told you. I believe that we need to start believing in ourselves.