The Sun Is Always Setting

Mickey - Adrian, Michigan
Themes: death, hope

From the time we are old enough to count, everyone on the planet is taught that a day is 24 hours long. This information is wrong. There are really 23.934 hours in a day, causing an excess of 24 hours once every four years (leap year). I would know, I did a report on Earth when I was in third grade.

We are told that every twelve hours, give or take an hour and a half, the sun rises and sets. This too, is a farce. The sun doesn’t go up or come down, it is simply an illusion caused by the spinning of the world. Every fraction of every millisecond, the sun is “rising” in one place and “setting” in some other. Sitting in the dark of night, I have to stop and think about those people in some foreign place in the world who have full sunshine on their backs, while I wait for sleep to set in. It kind of makes me jealous.

The whole town of Adrian is now encased in a thick cloak of purple velvet, and children in China frolic in the sun. A woman dies in a car crash in San Diego, yet her heart beats on within the body of another, sustaining their life for a few more good years. I learned long ago that when bad things happen to people, good things eventually come out of them.

When I was 12, my uncle committed suicide. It broke my heart. Things didn’t really get better; the raw nerves never healed over, but good things did come of his death. My mother was finally able to get the college degree she had always wanted, with the money he had left to her. If John hadn’t died, Mom wouldn’t have met her husband through her new job. I never would have moved to Adrian and I would never have had the opportunities I have now.

I know that if those things had not happened to our family, my life would not be the same. We eventually start to let go of those losses, major and minor. I try to keep in mind that life will get back on track if I let things run their courses. And the last thing that I try to remember is that in every second of every minute of every 23.934-hour day, the sun is always setting. And it is rising for someone else. This, I believe.