Chad - san diego, California
Themes: good & evil

Early Monday morning on November 26, 2007, a man by the name of Sean Taylor was rushed to the hospital. He had been shot in the leg. The bullet left a serious wound to his key femoral artery, and, because of the extensive blood loss, he died a day later. Details of the shooting are a little unclear, however it was reported Sean was trying to defend his home from an intruder.

Sean Taylor was 24 years old. Sean is also leaving behind a wife and one-year-old daughter.

Stories like this one seem to happen way too often. Senseless crime and senseless death are not a necessity to life. People have the power to stop them both. However, whether or not they are born that way is the question I ask myself.

Now of course after hearing a story like this, my answer is going to be that men are created evil and everyone deep down is immoral and we are no better than animals. How else, then would one man really kill another man in cold blood with his family in the same house?

However, when I begin to really think, I cannot disagree with philosopher John Locke, who said that man was naturally moral. Deep down I believe everyone has goodness in them. Deep down everyone is moral, and it is society and our culture that corrupts people. Or in some cases it is the experience of life that changes people, with the use of drugs or alcohol.

A couple of months ago my friend found a wallet with $300 in it. So right away that question arose in his mind whether or not to keep the money and just leave the wallet or take the moral route. He did the right thing and looked up the name in the phone book, called the person, and they made arrangements to pick up the wallet that day. The person turned out to be a middle-aged minority woman supporting three kids. She obviously needed the money more than my friend, but he would have never known if he just took the money.

I believe that the evil, twisted stories overshadow many stories like this just because of the ratings. People are gravitated toward the sad stories but that doesn’t mean good things don’t take place. I think enough is enough and we need to start hearing about the goodness in people again.

Mankind needs a little hope in itself now more than ever.