THIS I BELIEVE: SAN DIEGO CHARGER FOOTBALL

Tom - San Diego, California
Themes: place, sports

As we relax on the beach and in the sun people around the country get the wrong perception of us San Diegans. We aren’t ALL just lazy beach bums (but I do know quite a few). In fact, many of us are passionate about numerous things besides bikinis, waves, and Mexican food. However, sports aren’t usually one of them. So while we might not be the biggest sports town, we are known for rallying around our teams in times of need. Once again, citizens need to come to the rescue.

I believe that the Chargers must remain in San Diego. I believe that if they don’t succeed in getting a new stadium in San Diego they will move. San Diego as a whole will suffer. Our communities will become disjointed and our sense of civic pride will take a devastating blow. The Chargers came to San Diego in 1961 when our city was not much more than a sleepy naval town. As San Diego grew, so did the Chargers. To this day, citizens throughout the county endure both winning and losing Charger teams but regardless of the type of season, they always continue to cheer.

I have lived my entire life breathing Charger football. Even to this day, my dad and I begin our journey to Jack Murphy Stadium (now Qualcomm) every Sunday where we are engulfed in excitement. From an early age, I realized I was proud to be a San Diegan. I now don a San Diego Chargers lightning bolt tattoo on my back. To me it is not only a symbol of Charger Football but is a symbol of community and family.

Whenever I enter a bar or restaurant I usually hear a fellow San Diegan mentioning the state of the franchise. Almost every day I hear a complaint or a compliment about the franchise. Everywhere I go Charger football is alive. Understandably, not everyone in San Diego shares the same love for football that my family does, however, even these people are aware of the impact the Chargers have on many of their fellow citizens.

So once again, I call on my San Diego brethren; how about we keep these San Diego Super Chargers? Oh yea, and for those of you who don’t want them to stay… there is a beautiful town just north filled with smog, traffic, no NFL team, and extra skinny Lindsey Lohan lookalikes. It’s called LA.