Ashley - Washoe Valley, Nevada

Pets are Human’s Best Friends

By Ashley Barrett

I believe that everyone should have a pet. It would be a dog, horse, cat, rat, or a pet gold fish. If it brings you joy, comfort and relief then you should always have a pet.

I have three dogs, three cats, four horses, and seven chickens. It’s hard to believe that I had nothing before. I lived my whole life without a pet. Where I used to live we could never have a pet. It was so hard, I would always see people that would walk their dogs down the street and I, and well I would be in my room playing with Barbie dolls. My view from my room, which was up stairs, would be of the city, and apartments, houses, and shopping malls a perfect place for a city person, And I never knew anything else until I moved top Nevada four years ago.

When I was living in San Diego, I moved to a three story house that had rats in the walls and mice in the closets. We had skunks under the house and people that would drive by shooting out car windows on the side of the rode. I could never sleep at night always afraid that someone would climb into my room threw my window. All I had to comfort me at night was the scratching noise of the rats in the walls.

Then we had a blessing fall upon us, or maybe just me, but one of my dads friends was going threw a hard time and couldn’t take care of his dog for a month so we took care of her. She is a rottrieler my favorite kind of breed. With her sleeping in my room I could fall asleep when I was told to go to bed. She made me feel safe like I was invincible.

I remember waking up one night because she was growling. I recall being very afraid, I didn’t know whether to go get my parents. So all I did was grab her neck and took a deep breath. I got up and walked to the top of the stairway I looked down into the dinning room. Sierra started to growl again I made a quick decision whether to go down and see what it was or go back into my room and try to go back to bed and fall sleep. Well I chose to go back to bed and hope that if anything was to happen Sierra would save me. I laid down and fell asleep a lot faster than I thought I would.

Well one day while I was walking home, my brother got jumped. That was when my parents decided to move to Nevada. So we packed everything up and moved.

Like I said before, I believe everybody should have a pet. Some people say they bring you distress but even the most stupid animal could bring you joy. For example the other night when I was looking for my puppy, Cubby, and Jake was helping me, my other dog. I was walking on the street and Jake was running around. He ran into somebody’s yard so I called him. He started to run to me but missed the gate opening and ran into the fence. It was so funny I had to laugh. Even though I had tears in my eyes and my cheeks were frozen from the cold air. It made me happy at that moment.

I think animals do those kinds of things on purpose. To make you happy. To be their for you when no one else can. They have uncontrollable love for you and the best part is they never argue with you. I guess what I’m trying to say is that you can be in a really messed up situation, that sucks beyond belief but if you have a pet to be their for you, you just forget all the other things that don’t matter. I know one thing is for sure is that all my pets have each taught me something different. This in my case is the best thing that could ever happen to someone.