Patrick - brookfield, Wisconsin
Themes: equality

I believe in equality. I believe no one person is better than the next, rather each person is an individual gifted with different strengths and weaknesses all devoted to the same cause. I believe no matter what race, religion, ethnicity, or financial background a person is blessed with should have any part in the roll that individual plays in society, rather the self thought that is generated from that person and the benefits that society gains from that person’s existence. There was an instance first semester freshman year of High School when a boy walked in the classroom of my accelerated math class dressed in ragged clothes and a backpack that could barely hold itself together. It was evident that the student came from a family that did not have as much money as most boys’ families at our school. Immediately people began talking to each other about him and quickly made assumptions judged purely on his appearance, and began thinking this boy was not as smart or as good as the others purely because he did not have the nicest clothes, school supplies or cars money could buy. As weeks passed and the class progressed, people began realizing their assumptions were false and this boy was indeed a smart person. Not only was he a smart person, but he was a smarter person than every other student in that classroom. At the end of the semester not only did he finish with the highest grade in the class, but also one of the highest GPA’s in the entire grade. And in the midst of it all, was as humble as can be. After seeing that, I tried to take note of all the situations in which people did not treat others equally, but instead judged them based on their appearance or beliefs. This is a problem that needs to be solved in the world and especially in this country. Our motto in this country is to practice equality, yet in our school systems, Government, and a lot of social settings I do not think this belief is being practiced by our citizens.