I Believe in Football

Clinton - Santa Fe, Texas
Themes: respect, sports

I believe that sports help shape children into people that contribute to society in a positive way. Sports were a major part in my life growing up, and it has helped to shape me into the person I am today. Sports helped shape me into a confident, mannered, hard working individual. The positive values that children have the opportunity to learn while playing sports is priceless.

I understood the concept of consequences when I was in the seventh grade at a football practice. I had been avoiding my math homework for quite awhile and had accumulated nine zeros in the class. When football practice was over that night, my coach asked me to stay. He told me that I was to do whistle drills, and I had 100 yards for every zero. I had to get down in a three point football stance and when he blew the whistle I had to sprint full speed until he blew it again. At that point I had to dive down at the ground, chest first and then reposition myself before he blew the whistle for me to run again. As easy as this may seem, it is a very tiring task for a seventh grader after a hard night of football. This experience helped me understand that school came before anything else, and despite the fact that I was passing the class, laziness would not be tolerated. I have learned that school is a first priority and to takes school serious or there is consequences.

I began playing football at the age of five and since then I have learned many values from coaches and surrounding influences like parents and older role models. Sports helped to teach me to say yes ma’am, no ma’am, and yes sir, and no sir. I was taught to respect my elders and work hard.

As a kid playing sports I learned that the respect I learned for my elders was important. The simple use of yes sir and no sir were simple responses that helped me to gain respect amongst my family and community. I was a child and was forced to run during practice if I responded with only a yeah or a yes. That extra respect that I showed to others reflected towards respect from others to me. I understood that if I respect someone, they are more likely to respect me.

Football helped raise me for the better. The sport, my coaches, and family proved to be positive role models to help raise me and teach me to be a respectful, responsible young man. I still show the most respect possible to new people and my family and friends. This will help me through out life in a number of different ways and if it were not for football, I would not have been surrounded by such positive influences.