Jessica - reno, Nevada

Jessica Nash

If You Just Believe

I have many beliefs. I believe in equality. I believe in chastity, morality, love, and respecting yourself and those around you . . . and up until a couple weeks ago, after reading that list, I would have said, “This I Believe”. I have now found, however, that my belief is a lot bigger.

My story is not one of daring, or a life threatening experience. I formed this belief after I moved to a new high school, (this one), during the second quarter last year. I had moved from a small town where I knew everyone, to a school twice the size of little MVHS. It was hard. I didn’t know anyone here. I had been extremely close to all of my teachers and fellow students in my small town, and here the school is too large to ever do that. I had wanted the change and been prepared for it (just on a smaller scale). I tried to be positive though. I decided it would just take some getting used to. That turned out to be the hard part.

In the beginning I hadn’t fully established the comfort zone I had once had, and during that time I had my loving family, my nice, and few new acquaintances and my beliefs. My beliefs made a huge difference in the move because they kept me the same person I was when I moved here and I was able to do that with a smile on my face trying to make friends all along the way. Through certain beliefs I was eventually able to make some great friends. So, like it happens in the movies, THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER, and I have been.

It wasn’t until a little while ago when I was explaining my experience to someone that I realized what a big role my beliefs had played.

When I realized this, I also realized that when some people say that they don’t believe in anything, most of the time they are wrong. What would be the point in coming to school if we didn’t believe in socializing with our friends and/or getting an education so that we can support ourselves in the future? What would be the point in going to church (for those of us who do), if we didn’t believe in God, or whoever is the basis of our religion? Also, what would be the point in voting, if we didn’t believe in our county and it’s mostly functioning organized government? I know some people don’t agree on some of those aspects, but I covered the main point’s right? Education, religion, politics . . . Anyway, my point is, what would be the point in getting up and getting dressed in the morning if we didn’t believe there was a sufficient reason. I don’t know about you, but I like having reasons for the things I do, not just doing them ‘because’. I, Jessica Nash, believe in believing.