Rachel - Reno, Nevada
Themes: sports

Living Life to its Fullest

I believe in living life to its fullest and going out there to try knew things, because you’ve never really done everything that there is to do out there in the world. I’ve had some amazing experiences in my life, but I don’t just stop there and not look for anything else new. I always want to go out and find something else to do, because I get really bored of doing the same old thing all the time. To really live life to its fullest you need to take risks and try something that is completely new to you, because you’ve never done it all.

Through a good portion of my elementary years, I was the kind of kid that was use to what she did on a regular basis and didn’t want to change anything about it. I didn’t know how things would turn out if I tried something that wasn’t familiar to me; bad… good, what?

A few years later, as I made my way through my first year of middle school, I realized that risk was a huge part of life and if I didn’t take any, I would get nowhere. I couldn’t be so afraid of failure to not even try.

One day when I was in my PE class the teacher introduced us to the sport of volleyball. She had us start with serving, and I was definitely not very good at it. She helped practice with some others and me for a while and I gradually got better.

When we started playing some actual games I was so proud that I was able to get the ball over the net. The teacher said that I was doing very well too.

My friends told me that I had become a good server, and my PE teacher said that I should consider going to the up-coming try outs for the volleyball team. Even though I was getting complements on being a good server I wasn’t planning on trying out. I didn’t see why I should, if there was that possibility of not making the team. My parents and friends, frustrated, bugged me about trying out. They eventually convinced me, and I went to the tryouts; I still didn’t believe that things would work out. The tryouts lasted two days and my friends Nicole and Brooke tried out with me. On the last day, the names of the people that were chosen to be on the team were posted on the gym doors. As everyone crowded around the list, I saw my friend Nicole bouncing her way through the mob of girls towards me. She wore a huge grin on her face, and as she finally reached me she said excitedly “Rachel! You made the team with me!” I was in a state of shock, but I still found my voice to let out a huge scream with Nicole and bounce around with her in joy. After that, I tried more and more things, curious, more than afraid, to see what happened next.