macy - reno, Nevada

Be Yourself

Do you truly know who you are, or do you just mimic your friends and what you see on T.V.? “Be yourself, everyone else is taken” -Anonymous. I live by that quote everyday. I find it helpful when many of my friends are becoming someone they aren’t, and I can stick to who I am and be myself. Find out what you truly believe in and practice it. No one was created exactly like another person, although, many people try to be someone they aren’t. If God had wanted you otherwise, He would have created you otherwise. I believe that we were all created differently and we should not be ashamed of ourselves. We can have people we look up to, but we don’t need to become them. We need to realize that and be ourselves. This I believe.

I had a friend who was too worried about what others thought about her. She was always trying to be someone else, and not who she truly was. She was a fun, energetic person, who I loved to be around. But she was too self-conscious, and over time I couldn’t even have fun with her. She was always comparing herself to others. She ended up getting into trouble and becoming someone who she wasn’t. She wasn’t happy. She was doing things that I would have never imagined her doing just because she was not comfortable with herself. She still hasn’t changed back to who she really is, and everyday she becomes further away from her true self. After seeing this happen with one of my friends I have realized I do not want this for myself, and I realized how important it is to be you.

“Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.” -Judy Garland. I believe this quote to be true because if you are always trying to fit in to a certain group, then that group is probably not for you. I believe that if you have to change the way you are to hang out with a certain person, then you shouldn’t be hanging out with them in the first place. We need to express and practice our talents we are given, and those talents and beliefs define us and we shouldn’t change for anyone.

It may take some courage to be yourself, but in the end you will be way happier. You can look back and say, “I am glad I stood up for what I believed in. I was myself and didn’t cave in to the worldly pressures.” This I believe.