Lindsey - Reno, Nevada

Just Be Happy

I believe in being content with what you accomplish. I believe in living life to the fullest and doing what you love to do. I believe in no regrets and not caring what others think. But most of all, I believe the ultimate goal of people should be to achieve happiness.

Now don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with being responsible. Of coarse we should obey the law and work hard for a living. We should have to earn what we want and not forget our values for what we yearn for. But think about it; we were not put on this earth just grow up and die. Whether or not there is something more when we’re gone, while we are here we should do what we truly desire.

The reason I believe this is actually quite simple. There was no life threatening experience or miraculous event. I just woke up. I decided that in reality, my life was oppression. I was held down with all honors classes and sports that took up almost all of my free time. I pressured myself too much and allowed no room for error or mistake. I worried too much about how others perceived me and the stress of it all was overwhelming. I’d look at my mom who hates her job, not because of salary, but because it’s boring. She has spent more than twenty years at a place that is unfulfilling because she wasn’t willing to find a new profession after all this time. She had to keep her job so that my brother and I could have a comfortable life, rather than leaving for something she loved. So I decided that I wouldn’t be like that. I told myself I would do what I wanted to do. There are so many opportunities in life and it’s no good to work hard for something you aren’t happy with.

So here is what I know: I want to have a job that I like to get up in the morning for. I want to love and be loved. I want to relax and not stress. I want to help people. I want to not care what people think of me. But mostly, I want to be apart of something big. Bigger than a job or team. I want to help the world because in the end I won’t die knowing my life was unsatisfying. I want to be remembered for who I was and what I did because a lifetime dwindled away means it wasn’t worth it.