Alvina - Reno, Nevada
Themes: community

“The value of achievement lies in the achieving.” I strongly believe that these words spoken by Albert Einstein are true. I believe that what a person learns during the process of achieving their goals is often more important than achieving those goals. Everyone has goals that they set for themselves, and they all vary. No matter what the goal may be, everyone has to go through some sort of process to accomplish it. I think that setting goals is an important part of life, and without goals, there won’t be anything to work towards, nothing to set your sights on. When I make goals for myself, I make sure they are important to me. This past summer, before going to Mormon girls’ camp with my friends, I made a goal of surviving the overnight hike that all fourth years had to participate in. I had never been backpacking before, so I was really nervous, but excited as well. My friends have all had more hiking experience than I have and were very helpful, giving me tips, sharing their supplies with me, and knowing my deathly fear of heights, helping me cross fallen logs. We kept each other company through the long hike, and laughed and sang together to take our minds off the long stretch of mountain trail that lay ahead of us. The uphill trek was very hard because of the weight of the backpacks we were carrying and the constant thirst for water in the dry, blistering heat. During one particularly difficult part of the trail, some of the girls who were far ahead came back down to help and encourage those who were struggling, even if they were strangers. That really opened up my eyes. And I was ecstatic when we all made it to the camp site, injury-free, and got to go swimming. The downhill trek the following day was much, much easier, and it seemed like the whole experience was over in a split second. Accomplishing the goal of surviving the hike with hard work and encouragement was very exciting for me. I was glad I went on the hike, not just for the experience, but for the lessons I learned. Because of it, I discovered how much people really can care for each other, even if they were total strangers. It was really heartwarming to see how pleasantly everyone treated each other, which brings me to the power of friendship. My friends were amazing through the whole thing. I honestly don’t think I could have done it without them. It showed me that friends are truly what will help you through life’s many hardships. By working together, you can get through anything.

Although accomplishing this goal was very important to me, these lessons are even more important, because they are lessons I can learn from and treasure for my whole life. Therefore, lessons learned while achieving a goal can be just as important, if not more so, than the achievement of the goal. This I believe.