Nicholas - Greenwood Village, Colorado
Themes: humility

Humility: This I Believe

According to The American Heritage Dictionary, humility is “The quality or condition of showing awareness of one’s shortcomings.” According to me, humility is lowering of your ego to be able to see the good in everyone. Humility is not only seeing the good in others, but seeing the good in yourself. In order to be humble, you don’t need to lose hard earned self confidence, because it will leave you with a negative outlook on life. Everyone is worth something. The problem in today’s world is that the majority of people either think they are way better than everyone, or they think that they have no value. Both of these mindsets are harmful to not only the individual but also to anyone they come into contact with.

Personally, I have experienced both sides of the spectrum. When I had just turned 12 years old, I was at camp. Now, this camp is not just one of your “sit around the campfire and sing camp songs” camp, this camp has a greater purpose. The session I go to is called Knighthood, which focuses on Arthurian legends and teaching kids the values of a knight (valor and chivalry, not killing and plundering). Every year, each boy goes through induction, where they either make their rank or not. If a boy shows that he has learned the qualities of both the rank he is working toward and the ranks he has already achieved, he gets his rank. If he is missing any of these qualifications, he doesn’t. There are six ranks in total, starting at Page and going to Sir Knight.

Anyway, I had just had turned 12 and I was psyched because I thought I was going to make my rank that year. When induction came around, my counselor held me due to my lack of humility. I was completely devastated. After camp, I tried to lower my ego. The problem was that I lowered my ego too much. I started to wonder what good I was and thought that I was worthless.

After a whole year of this, I came back to camp. My counselor and I had a long talk about humility. He talked about why I was held last year, and I talked about how I started to feel like I was no good. We eventually came to find that what I needed was a balance. A balance that allowed me to see the good of others, while still taking pride in myself. Ever since that talk, I have been working to find that perfect balance of humility; between self-confidence and over-confidence.

Now, do I know every thing? I wish I did, but I don’t. Heck, I’m only 14! But I am what I am, and nothing can change that. I’m entitled to my view and you are entitled to yours. All that I’m trying to say is that I believe in humility, and how its balance could make a better world