Kaitlyn - Reno, Nevada

It has taken me a long time to realize what I really believe in. I think everyone is so caught up in just living, that we forget what is really important to us, and what we really believe in. It wasn’t until I was reflecting about a memory that I realized my strongest belief. I believe that everyone we meet throughout our entire lives changes who we are and who we will become.

I reflected on my favorite memory; but it wasn’t really a memory at all, it was a person. As early as I can remember living in Reno, I had known Aaron. Since first grade, we were in the same class. Later on that year, he moved away. I didn’t think of it as something that would change who I am today, but it would, because later after that, my parents had decided we were going to move too.

Aaron and I had spent a whole school year apart; yet it hadn’t really affected either one of us. We didn’t miss each other, think about each other, or even remember each other that well. We went about our lives not knowing we would see each other again. In the third grade, at my new school, I had noticed him; I had finally spotted a friendly face on the playground, and day after day, I had contemplated talking to him, until one day, we ran into each other. “Do I know you?” I asked him, less than gracefully.

“Yeah, Kaitlyn, right?” He replied. I was so happy I wasn’t the only one to remember. It was absolute fate that we had both moved about two blocks down from each other and went to the same school.

That was the only two things that needed to be said for us to become best friends over the next three years. In that time, he was more of a friend to me than anyone I had ever known. We both weren’t much for running around, we mostly just passed the time walking up and down the playground along the fence that separated the playground and a nearby park. Although other girls my age spent time playing tag and teasing boys, I chose not to, but I wouldn’t have had things any other way.

I believe that the people that float in and out of your life change who you are and who you will become. I think that my friendship with Aaron has changed my whole personality. If I had never met him, I don’t think I would be how I am now, act how I act, or have the friends I have today. He brought out the best in me, and most of all, taught me how to be a friend. I credit him for making me who I am, as well as I credit everyone I’ve ever known, for making me who I am today.