Helen - Reno, Nevada

My Lucky Dollar

I think that life is filled with many surprises, some are happy and some are sad. Some people are very lucky and some people are not very lucky; some people call this fate. Some people blame their loss of luck on other people. Some people are very lucky for some reason. I believe that you make your own luck.

I believe this because last Friday I was in history class and watching a movie and, I asked my teacher if I could go, he agreed. I went to the bathroom, and as I was waking out I saw a dollar on the floor. I literally had to blink my eyes twice and count to three to see if the dollar was still there. It was! I was really excited and happy; I thought this was some cruel joke. I then walked over to the magical dollar and bent down to grab it. Because of this dollar, I had the best day because I never found money on the floor before. I’m still talking about it.

As the school day ended and it was time to go home, I was really excited to tell my family what I had found. When I came home I told my family and they were happy for me. As I finished my homework I was watching television on a game show called “Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?” The contestant that was playing had a very high I.Q. He looked very smart, and by that I mean that he looked like a nerd, a very smart nerd.

He started playing the game show and he got very excited although he was answering very simple questions. His I.Q. is higher than a lot of the people that I know. He worked his way up and earned a lot more money as he went. The game show contestant then worked his way up to a quarter million. He was asked a question about drama. He was very unsure but he went for it. He was right. He was so proud that he had half a million dollars. The prize money was one million dollars. And he had one more question left to win. He was then asked a question about history; it was a hard question. The contestant was sweating and panting hardly. He choose not to go for it and he ended up winning half a million dollars. He was really excited!

Than I began to think that you make your own luck. If you find a dollar on the floor or one million dollars, it all depends on how you look at it. I now call the dollar I found on the floor “My Lucky Dollar”. I still have my lucky dollar in my pocket.